Make the most of your roof replacement by choosing the perfect shingle color. Why settle for the same color roofing you’ve always had when you can add curb appeal and value to your home with a new hue?
At Best Choice Roofing, we are your trusted roofing experts, dedicated to helping you make the best choices for your home. Begin your color search by considering your area’s climate. Asphalt roofing tends to absorb heat; if you live in a warm climate, choose a light-colored shingle to prevent heat absorption. If you live in a cold climate, a dark-colored shingle will absorb extra heat and lower energy usage.
Let’s dive into the process of choosing the ideal roof color that will enhance your home’s beauty and reflect your personal style.
10 Tips on Picking the Perfect Roof Color
1. Make a Vision Board and Fill It with Your Ideas
A variety of elements make up your home exterior’s design. From windows and doors to siding, shutters, and roofing, they all work together to create anything from traditional, classic beauty to modern, trendy style.
Check out other roofs in your neighborhood and inquire about any you like. Look up homes similar to yours on Pinterest. Go through magazines and cut out pictures of homes with the look you love. Fill your vision board with your desires.
2. If You Love Your Current Roofing Color—Go for It!
If you believe the color you have on your roof now is the ideal color, then indulge in it again. Perhaps look at it in a more durable shingle type than you had in the past to enjoy the upgrade in performance and endurance.
3. Find a Shingle Color that Boosts Curb Appeal
If you’re ready for a new color and want to refresh your house with updated curb appeal, try different shingle colors on your home with the convenient online tool Owens Corning provides. Their Design EyeQ® visualization tool gives you a clear picture of your home’s appearance with the roofing shingle color of your choice beautifying it.
4. Consider the Beauty of Dimensional Colors on Your Roof
Bold, dimensional color delivers visual interest that gives your roof a more textured look. Check out the TruDefinition Duration Designer Colors Collection for inspiration that will enhance your vision for the possibilities your new roof can offer when it comes to looks.
5. Complement Your Siding’s Color
Your siding color makes up a large percentage of your home’s exterior design, so pick a roofing color that contrasts with your siding to add interest and dimension to your exterior.
6. Check with Your Homeowner’s Association
Before you finalize your shingle color, verify with your HOA that your choice fits within the guidelines they have outlined for your neighborhood.
7. Don’t Limit Yourself
There are three different types of asphalt roofing shingles to choose from. Don’t limit the possibilities. If you want designer colors on your roof, move from a 3-Tab Roofing Shingle to an Architectural Shingle.
- 3-Tab Roofing Shingles provide a symmetrical look to your roof. They are traditional in their appearance and are more cost-effective than other shingle types.
- Architectural Roofing Shingles are a premium type of asphalt shingle. They are also called Dimensional Shingles because two layers of shingle pieces are laminated together to deliver a dimensional look. They are aesthetically pleasing due to the variation in shingle sizes and shapes. They come in fantastic designer colors.
- Impact Resistant Roofing Shingles are enhanced to stand up against impact from hail or other debris that may fall on your roof during a severe storm. Their robust makeup helps to decrease cracking, denting, or other damage that other shingle types may incur in a bad storm. Some insurance companies give discounts when your home is covered in Class 4 (out of 4) impact-resistant shingles. And you’ll love the colors they come in!
8. Get Samples of Your Favorite Shingle Options
Just like you try paint samples on your home exterior when it’s time to repaint your home, ask your contractor for roofing shingle samples so you can try them on. You did your preliminary search online, and now it’s time to see the actual shingle samples.
Take your contractor’s sample and lean it against your home exterior. Look at it up close and from a distance. Check it out at different times of the day so you can see how the change in lighting impacts its overall look. (Color granules look different once you pair them with your siding color.)
9. Ask Us for Ideas
Don’t decide on your roofing color solely based on a small shingle sample. Find a way to look at the big picture. Once you narrow down your shingle color and type, ask our Best Choice Roofing team to see previous homes we’ve worked on. You’ll have a better feel for their appearance when you see a home covered in them.
10. Choose Your Color with Confidence!
Once you’ve done your research, tried out colors online, examined samples at your home, and sought out homes with the same roofing color on them, go with the color that you feel brings out the best in your home—and do it with certainty!
Enjoy a Beautiful New Roof in the Perfect Color
Don’t miss out on the stunning beauty a new roof can provide, particularly when you choose the ideal color for your roof.
At Best Choice Roofing, as a Platinum Preferred Contractor with Owens Corning, we provide you with the best roofing products and warranties the industry has to offer, and at a lesser price than other roofing companies. With a Best Choice Roofing 5-year Labor Guarantee and an Owens Corning 50-year warranty, you can rest assured that your home is protected without future unexpected costs.
Take a moment to learn more about our roofing services.