How to Winterize Your Roof to Protect Your Home Against the Elements
The best way to ensure your home stays in tip-top shape year-round is to protect it from the top down. While your roof provides the most defense against the elements throughout the year, it can take a serious beating during the coldest months of the year. That’s why it’s wise to prepare in advance by winterizing your home’s roof as soon as possible.
Remember: not winterizing in time can actually leave your roof in a bad situation without any help until the weather changes. In many parts of the country, winter’s chill gets so bad that roofing companies can no longer work on a home’s roof because they require warmth and sunlight for the sealant they use on shingles and other products to adhere properly. This means that the best time to winterize your roof is now rather than in a few months when you’re knee-deep in snow, ice or cold winds.
The Best Ways to Winterize Your Roof in 2021
- Clean Your Gutters and Downspouts – After months of autumn leaves falling on your property, you may find your gutters are totally clogged with debris. If those gutters are blocked when the snow and icy rains come, it can do some serious harm to your roof and home. Fortunately, clogged gutters can often be cleared simply by running water from a hose through them and washing it away from your home’s foundation.
- Trim Your Nearby Trees – Roofing in Virginia, Maryland, Ohio and other parts of the country should never be threatened by nearby trees. Any branches hanging over your home’s roof should be cut back, and dead trees should be removed entirely from your property. Otherwise, the heavy accumulation of winter snow and ice could cause them to collapse and wreak havoc on your roof.
- Ensure Proper Roof Ventilation – Keeping your home’s roof well-ventilated during the winter months means that extreme temperatures won’t damage its structure or materials. Plus, it’ll help reduce your utility bills and keep your home comfortable in the coldest days of the year.
- Remember Your Insulation – If your attic isn’t well insulated, even proper ventilation will struggle against the frigid temperatures outside. Make sure you have quality modern insulation in your attic to help as a reinforcement for your home’s roof.
- Repair Any Damage ASAP – Performing a thorough roof inspection is the best way to detect any damage or minor issues that could lead to costly repairs down the road. Any damage that exists now could get far worse during freezing and thawing cycles, leaving your roof and your home vulnerable to the worst threats of the coldest months of the year.
- Enlist the Services of a Professional Roofing Contractor – When it comes to protecting your roof this winter, you may want to trust in an expert roofing contractor near you. At Best Choice Roofing, we proudly offer roof winterizing services for homeowners all over the United States. We’re now running a special Groupon deal in certain Virginia and Maryland locations that includes a complementary roof inspection service! With our team on your side, you can rest easy knowing your roof is protected against the harshest winter elements.