Your roof is your home’s first line of defense against the outside elements. Making sure your roof is in top shape is key to protecting your home’s interior from damage. But, assessing when you may need a new roof can be challenging if you do not know what signs to look for. Expert roofing contractors at Best Choice Roofing recommend looking for these top 5 “new roof replacement” signs.
- Visible dark streaks. The first sign that you may need a new roof is seeing dark streaks or algae growing on your roof’s shingles. Algae naturally accumulate on your roof over time. But, a significant buildup can signal that it is time to consider getting a new roof. Too much algae can trap moisture on your roof and accelerate natural roof decay.
- Cracked or missing shingles. If your shingles are damaged, your roof’s integrity and protection capacity is severely compromised. Natural wear and tear over time can wear down your shingles, but if you notice any damage to your shingles, then it is time to call in an expert roofer to inspect the overall health of your roof.
- Recurring water leaks. Since your roof is designed to keep the elements out of your home, if you notice water leaks often or find yourself constantly repairing your roof, then it is time to explore a roof replacement. A water leak often means that the roofing system in your home has failed and could be the only warning sign you get before the catastrophic happens. Periodically checking your ceilings for water stains or water damage can be a great way to stay on top of an impending roof failure.
- Excessive moisture buildup in your attic. Your attic can hold clues to how your roof is performing. If you notice mold, moisture accumulation, or see sunlight penetrating through your attic, then this is a sign of roof trouble. If you’re not sure if what you see in your attic is normal, then schedule a routine roof inspection with a trusted roofing specialist.
- Out of control utility bills. When we think of energy efficiency, windows and doors often get the most attention. However, having a newer and well-insulated roof can be an effective way to better regulate your home’s temperature and help you cut down on your monthly utility expenses. If you’ve already replaced your windows and doors, but still notice that your heating and air bills are not lowering, then consider having your roof and attic inspected.
In addition to staying aware of the top five signs that you may need a new roof, it is highly recommended to have your roof inspected once a year. At Best Choice Roofing, our experienced roofing contractors are experts in the roofing field and can help you spot the first signs of trouble. We are happy to meet with you and thoroughly inspect your roof and provide you with roof replacement options. To schedule your complimentary roof replacement consultation or to discuss ways you can extend the life of your roof, call Best Choice Roofing at 866-BESTCHOICE.